Sunday, February 28, 2016

Eduardo Galeano Tribute

Eduardo Galeano, was a Journalist, a Writer, a philosopher, but specially a real Rebel!


 

Eduardo Galeano tribute

 

This post is a tribute I make to one of my idols. Eduardo Galeano.

Iam not going to enter in great details about his life, for that you can find much better results like this Wikipedia link.

But still Iam going to give you the normal details:

Name: Eduardo Germán María Hughes Galeano

Nationality: Uruguayan

Death: 13 April 2015

For the rest of the stuff you really should check Wikipedia. And a bog I found with great information About Eduardo Galeano: autonomies.org

Now, about how I got to know the work of Galeano?

A few years ago (2009), I was taking part on a lot of social movements across Europe; specially where I live in. When we are with other activists, we are not only talking about how to destroy the police and take the government down :) (sometimes we do but not always).

One day, a friend told me about the work of Eduardo Galeano, and how much he could relate what was happening in Europe at the time, offcourse I went to research him and found the books "memories of fire" those were the first three books I read from Galeano but much more would follow.

A few years after I got to know him, he become really mainstream by his appearance on the Spanish Occupy movement, where he gave the most amazing interview you can see in this video: (Spanish only sorry) No point in trying subtitles to English they are all wrong :(



 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVQPvBwgUUg

 

There are some greate quotes from this Interview, one that I like the most is:
“Este mundo de ‘mierda’ está grávido de outro!”

That means: "This shitty world is pregnant with another one"

This because people were complaining against several "injustices" and Galeano point is: Maybe the world is not perfect now, but with this persons rising up it will become.

 

And this brings me to the next video I show you, this time translated into English. The right to dream.

In it Galeano approaches several topics but mainly focus on World injustices and what should change by using the right to dream.

 

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15JyHP1jbk

 

This last video I chose to show you it's named "Vivir sin Miedo" or "Live without fear" Is an amazing video to exemplify all the wisdom and sweetness of this amazing men.

In it Eduardo Galeano appeals every person to live without fear in a way they can act to change the society were they live in.

These are small videos, around 10 minutes each. I recommend you watch them and after search for related videos there are hundreds of videos from Eduardo Galeano on youtube, not all of them in English, but its never too late to learn Spanish :)

Offtopic - The quote I have on the image on the start of the post was taken from this interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rygqfWagvhQ

 

As always please do share this post to the world.

You can use the buttons bellow to easily share it on Facebook, Twitter, StumbleUpon, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment